What's New in SURFCAM V5
This release of SURFCAM V5 proves to be one of the most significant releases of SURFCAM for NC programmers who require world class
precision and control from a CAM system. This release continues to build on and extend all the new features and enhancements implemented
in SURFCAM V4, with the emphases on 'ease of use' to provide maximum gains in multi-axis programming and machining productivity.
New features in SURFCAM V5 include:
TrueMill® — There have been many improvements to Surfware's patented TrueMill technology:
- The TrueMill slicer has been reworked to return a higher quality toolpath along with faster toolpath calculation times
- Pocket ordering is now more intelligent to reduce the overall rapid moves
- For 3-axis TrueMill, slicing is now done in the same manner as Z-rough
- Users now have the option to turn off "open pocket" cutting. This forces TrueMill to only calculate and cut the internal pockets of a model (see below)
- TrueMill now has the ability to perform "depth first" cutting. This makes TrueMill cut to the full depth of a region before moving on
- The interface now has a place for users to enter a separate spindle RPM for the helical entry into the material
- For users who prefer not to use a helical plunge into the material, TrueMill now supports drilling a pilot hole
Lathe Modifications — There have been many modifications made to Lathe to allow for more productivity:
- Custom holder and custom tool support
- Back Face OD Groove, ID comp and ID retract angle corrected
- Updated Lathe tool databases
- SCMOD verification files retain orientation between setups
- Support for Cview turning capability
- Enhancements to lathe verification too better support both lathe and mill turn operations
- Auto check has been enabled for lathe tapping
- Automatic material boundary trimming to the end of the part
4-Axis Enhancement — For 4-axis, an active Cview gnome has been added as a visual reference for the current
axis of rotation for the current part and the set axis setting is retained and automatically sets itself upon regeneration.
5-Axis Enhancements — SURFCAM V5 brings many enhancements to 5-axis machining that can simplify and boost production.
5-Axis Roughing — Additional functionality has been added to convert any 4-5 axis toolpath
into a roughing toolpath. Examples of this are Multi-Pass (seen below along a curve and down a port), Plunge Roughing, Morph Pocket, and Depth Cuts.
5-Axis Multi-Select — The multi-select option is now enabled upon going into 4-5 axis operations.
5-Axis Surface Extension — Selected surface groups to be cut can be auto extended to avoid having to model surfaces
to extend the 4-5 axis cuts.
5-Axis Tool Cutting Direction Enhancement — Clockwise, Counter-clockwise, Climb and Conventional
options have all been enabled and there is an "Enforce Cutting Direction" parameter for the Clockwise (see below) and Counter-clockwise direction options.
5-Axis User Intuitive Graphics — For each of the options in the tabs for 4-5 axis,
graphics have been added to denote what the selected options pertain to and the choices that can be made. See below for an example of
a graphic indicating that a planar cut has been selected.
5-Axis Additional Controls — An additional pannel in the LEADS/LINKS tab allows
for more control of the links between passes on 4-5 axis roughing toolpaths (see below). Similarly, the OPTIONS tab now has controls
to set the Y-axis machine limit, smooth surface normals, and round corners.
Operations Manager — The Operations Manager has an added check box functionality that allows the user to select
the operations that the post can either process or skip.
Transparent Work Plane — A transparent work plane has been added to allow a visual representation of the active
Cview in the model space. Users will also be able to control the visibility, size, color, and transparency of the plane.
Multiple Tool Rest Roughing — Users will now have the ability to batch process multiple tools for a single rest
3-Axis Z-Finish — The 3-axis Z-finish now has HSM operation functionality. Classic functionaliity has also been retained.
Additional Enhancements for V5
Silhouette Boundaries — Silhouette boundaries have been modified to use the surface tolerance
value to generate the boundary.
Write Permissions to the SURFCAM folder — When write permissions are not able to be given to the
SURFCAM directory, changes can be made to allow SURFCAM to run properly.
Spost Configuration Tool — The user interface to the Spost config tool has been updated as well
as the Spost engine having been updated to accomodate the new SURFCAM security.